Stephen Wise Free Synagogue, a 501(c)3 religious organization, employs full-time and part-time staff who support the values and principles of the synagogue. If you are committed to advancing Jewish life in New York City and helping others to embrace their heritage, consider joining our staff. Career opportunities for Jewish educators, nursery school teachers, administrative, facilities, and marketing staff are listed as they become available.
Stephen Wise Free Synagogue is thrilled to announce the creation of a new Community Organizer position to be responsible for the congregation’s social action agenda. The Community Organizer will work in close partnership with senior staff and our members to lead three action-oriented task forces focused on the following areas: domestic civil liberties, anti-Semitism, and immigration and refugees.
The ideal candidate will bring to this exciting role a passion for civic engagement and social justice, and an understanding that our congregation’s desire to make the world a better place is rooted in our rich religious tradition.
• Leverage the incredible energy, professional skills, and resources of our community to mobilize the above mentioned task forces
• Develop a compelling vision for the new Stephen Wise social action agenda, rooting the immediate work of three congregant-led task forces in a dynamic, multi-year social impact campaign/strategy
• Provide regular professional leadership to congregant-led task forces to ensure the achievement of short and long term objectives as they relate to each individual issues area: domestic civil liberties, anti-Semitism, and immigration and refugees.
• Coordinate and lead community education meetings, workshops and events. Examples: local and national policy briefings, volunteer and service learning programs, sponsorship of and participation in relevant rallies and protests, and overseas missions.
• Establish meaningful and mutually-beneficial relationships with community partners, including synagogues, churches, local and national advocacy organizations, government agencies, national and international social service providers, and more.
• Develop and manage opportunities for public presentations, to enhance public awareness of Stephen Wise’s social action initiatives
• Manage regular email communication to task forces and the Stephen Wise community at large in order to maintain regular participation, resourcing and visibility
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in community organizing & coalition building. Experience organizing issues around refugees and immigrants, domestic civil liberties, and/or minority rights, including specific efforts to fight anti-Semitism in the United States a plus.
• Proven ability to manage internal and external stakeholders in order to advance the collective vision and aspirations of the Stephen Wise congregation.
• Experience participating in legislative and/or budget advocacy efforts in NYC
• Exceptional time management skills with proven ability to meet deadlines and achieve outcomes for multiple, simultaneous campaigns
• Self-starter. Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of a team.
• Bachelor’s Degree required
• Salary will be commensurate with skills and experience of the selected candidate.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to
Stephen Wise Free Synagogue is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Stephen Wise is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.